Visit original article.
Pop into the Big Red Barn and visit Palmetto Carriage Works, the area’s longest running carriage company, to discover the lore and charm of downtown Charleston. You’ll join our furry four-legged friends for a one hour tour packed full with picturesque sites and tales of the Lowcountry’s past. Scroll on to learn just 6 surprising facts you might learn on a Charleston carriage tour, then click here to book your adventure and get ready to explore.
1. Charleston has the largest continuous historic district in the United States.
2. Charles Towne had the only walled English city in the 18th century.
3. Charleston was home to four signers of both the Declaration of Independence & the Constitution.
4. More soldiers fought in the American Revolution from the colony of South Carolina than from any other single colony.
6. Not only were the first shots of the Civil War fired in Charleston Harbor, but South Carolina was also the first state to secede from the Union.
Ready to test your Charleston history knowledge? Take our quiz here and let us know how you did!